Tuesday 3 February 2015

Kit check

All those years in the Army taught me one thing above all others, but getting the first punch in quick while they aren't ready will hopefully have little relevance to microadventuring.

The other thing we had drilled into us was drill.  Maybe that will come in more handy, possibly.

But KIT, have the right kit ready, so how about I put in what I am using for the winter microadventures?

The first winter microadventure kit
Here it is then, apart from the small 35l rucksack it all went in.

The big orange stuff sack is an Mammut 3 season sleeping bag, it's seen a few years use now, but never lets me down.  Well warm enough for me.

Then green thing under the cooker is a meraklon sleeping bag liner, easily adds a season to the sleeping bag, I am looking forward to the July night when it will be all I need!

The little orange box has the gas cooker in,  I would tell you it was some exotic make, but it was£3, delivered, from Hong Kong.  It self-seals and attaches to the small gas canister.  It even lights itself and hasn't yet blown me up!

Then there is my bobble hat, a small radio (I can't contemplate the idea of no music), a pack of Organic fruity porridge, some waterproof trousers and a 3/4 length self inflating sleeping mat.

Then of course there is the key microadventuring staple item.  For me it is an ex-Army Gore-tex bivvi bag.  It is massive compared to non-Army types I have come across.  It's a bit heavier than other ones, my son has an Alpkit Hunka, but it also allows for a lot of nocturnal movement, and I can even get all the way in mine and pull it shut around my head.  It was also a bloody bargain, £17 on e-bay and brand new to boot!

On this occasion I also took a basha, as a bit of extra insurance as the weather forecast was shocking, it also turned out to be surprisingly accurate, sadly!

Other stuff that didn't make the picture, a couple of warming tinnies, a handful of Buffs and an Ayup headtorch and of course a brew kit.  You can't beat a warming brew, it sort of just makes everything seem slightly less crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment